Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Plugging in the Mic.

..Welcome! This is The Karaoke Machine, a blog started by Sara and Tanya. I'm the Sara one, and I wanted to start off with a breif History of myself and what I know about music, some of my favorites, and a quick snapshot of what we expect will be going on around here.
So to start off, I'll tell you about lessons. Even if you don't care, it makes me feel better about my criticism. Took piano on and off for 8 years, and didn't learn anything about music. I've been taking voice for about 2, and have liked it. It's when I took guitar lessons that things started clicking- and since my first guitar lesson was only about a year and a half ago, I'd listened to and loved a lot of music by that time, and I think that's why it went so great. This upcoming February I'll have had one year of Drum lessons, and what a mental rollercoaster. I got so emotional about drums, and have had it in my head since I swear I was born that I was meant for drums. Like, me and drums, together forever. I could've carved it into a tree 4 months ago. Then something hard happened: Since my emotions were so strong, I'd feel guilty. Or embarrassed, or frustrated, or really, really sad. It got ridiculous, and I regret to admit I am taking a hiatus from my drum set. Emotions are really the driving force behind this music blog, too- I'd been trying to find my place in music via all these lessons, until one day about last month something happened. I forced myself to learn songs and practice them, and I'd sit, for sometimes 7 hours a night on a school night to keep doing it. I kept telling myself I'd get it. I never got it. There were multiple discussions about how I needed to stop thinking so hard, and I thought I'd give my second love - writing - a try.
So Here I am, and that's pretty much my history.
For favorites, it's punk, it's blues, it's pop, it's garage rock and in no specific order. The Creators/Saviours of those genres make up my "favorites" playlist and pretty much my entire life. When I like the band, I know the band. I make it a priority to learn about their lives then, now, and if they have goals, where they may be going. It's the background that makes me love writing about the band, mostly because it's therapy knowing they're a little like you. [I defintitely recommend it.]
The relatibility is something of a goal for me; to bring that connection-without-distortion to the blog. I want to keep the information straight from the source and have my opinion be obviously set apart.
Now for the situation that is The Karaoke Machine:
For now, blog posts will be random until a routine is decided and/or Tanya gets her internet fixed. I forsee myself posting band reviews, and some album reviews, but I really like the idea of writing about thoughts on music topics- like Tanya showed me a website where you can read Kurt Cobain's suicide note and my brain went crazy with ideas. [Tanya! Take the Topic! I want to know what you think about it! lol!]

So that's my flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment